TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks. TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics from science to business to global issues and in more than 100 different languages. TED as I stated earlier is a nonprofit organization and does not sell any products online all of their videos can be found on YouTube and other channels. If you want to attend live in conference TED TALKS that is where they get you! Live in person conference talks are very expensive. Some conference can run you eight thousand dollars for five days of conferences. TED talks strategy and approach is to simply reach many people by use of their talks. They want to inspire and spread their knowledge on specific topics that people are always looking for answers to.
- 9,860,731 Followers
- They mainly post videos and articles but the articles do come with a headline photo
- It is hard to put into time how much they post but there is almost something new every hour to read or watch. There is constant new activity.
- Interaction is pretty consistent with fans, they are always tweeting back out to their fans and making sure they are letting it be known that they are posting something new that relates to that individual they are tweeting to.
- 91,953 Followers
- Videos are the majority of posts but links to articles are also posted as well.
- I would say that on average there is something new posted every day to two days
- Does not seem to be much interaction. Most of the communication is comments from the fans and followers.
- 7,030,432 Subscribers
- Videos are the only type of activity posted on this type of social media account
- On average I would say there is something new posted every couple days to the site
- There is no real interaction with fans other than the posting of the videos that go up
TED utilizes there social media pretty wisely. It all starts with their twitter account which has over 9 million followers. They reach a lot of people with the tweeting of clips and full videos of their talks. They also use it well to respond to their followers as well be able to tweet directly to someone they know who be interested in a specific talk that they recently did or found in a past talk. The next social media account they utilize wisely is their YouTube account which has nearly 7.1 million subscribers. YouTube has a large viewership and allows them to go and watch millions of former TED talks with a few simple clicks all for free. On a smaller scale TED utilizes a Facebook account but has a fraction of the followers as their other accounts with only 91,953 followers. They post a few photos as well as some of their videos that are newer or want to bring attention to an old video that is becoming relevant again.
On a larger social media scale TED utilizes their social media accounts very well and reaches a lot of different followers in many different ways. TED has become as popular as it is due to the use of all their different social media accounts and without them may have not become as popular as fast or maybe not as popular at all.
When searching the companies digital footprint there was many different articles, videos, blogs and much more information. If you go back far enough you can see the stardom of the company and how fast it grew in the eyes of the public reader.
I believe what TED is doing well is supplying their viewers with lots of free videos for them to watch but then also allow people to come to live conferences for a fee which in returns help fund the company and keep it growing and becoming better.
I am not sure there is much I would have them do differently as a company, besides possibly makes their live in person conferences a little cheaper to attend. People are always easier to inspire in person but a lot of the people who could use the inspiration are unable to afford the high ticket prices to attend the TED conferences.
I would grow the companies social media presence by focusing on growing each of their viewership’s on each site. Right now it is manly twitter and YouTube and all the other social media sites are semi underutilized. If they can grow their followers on other accounts such as their Facebook and Instagram accounts they can start to grow even more than they have.